Fancy Lace Knitting Stitch: Flowers in a Row Stitch.
The Flowers in a Row Stitch is an easy yet quite original knitting stitch. The base is worked in Stocking Stitch, while the 3D flowers are obtained working 5 elongated stitches tied together. You can get the effect you like simply by trying this stitch with all types of yarn, varying thickness, color (solid or mélange) and texture (from twisted to voluminous like mohair, cashmere…).
For this tutorial, we used:
Here is the step-by-step tutorial!
Flowers in a Row Stitch Tutorial
Cast on a multiple of 6 + 1 stitches.
Row 1 (WS = wrong side):
- *Knit 1 stitch, 5 elongated stitches (knit wrapping the yarn 3 times around the needle)*.
- Repeat from * to * until the end of the row. Knit the last stitch.
Row 2 (RS = right side):
- Purl 1 stitch, *5 elongated stitches tied together [bring the yarn on the WS, slip 5 stitches purlwise unravelling the yarn wrapped around the needle, (pull the yarn on the RS, move the slipped stitches onto the left needle, bring the yarn on the WS, move the slipped stitches onto the right needle) 2 times], purl 1 stitch*.
- Repeat from * to * until the end of the row.
Rows 3 – 4:
- Knit rows.
Rows 5 – 10:
- Work in Stocking Stitch (starting on the WS).
Repeat Rows 1 – 10 until your piece is the length your project requires.
Easier than you thought, right? 😄
Flowers in a Row Chart
The beauty of the simple knitting stitches is the countless ways you can make them your own style! Try this stitch on your next hand-knitted garments for summer or winter. You can also choose to use it only around edges, necklines and armholes, making one single row of flowers: this way, you will get wavy edges.
Let us know in the comment section below what you’re going to knit using this stitch and share your creations on Instagram using the hashtag #bettaknit!
If you enjoyed this flower stitch, you will surely love the Rosebud Eyelet Stitch too🌷