The Diagonal Puff Stitch is a super fun crochet stitch that creates an interesting 3D effect and a soft texture.
This reversible crochet stitch is obtained by combining the double crochet stitch, the chain stitch, and the Puff Stitch, which creates a sort of 3D “pearl”. In this case, you will work Puff Stitches next to each other in rows and in a diagonal line: the puff stitches are therefore leaning to the left and to the right in alternating rows, creating a beautiful braided-like design.
How about making a wool baby blanket with this stitch? So much softness and warmth with little effort! ☁️
For the above swatch, we’ve used:
- 4 mm/US G6 beechwood crochet hook – you can choose the right needle size adjusting to your yarn and tension
- Bettaknit’s Lana yarn in the color Pink
FOR THIS TUTORIAL, YOU MIGHT NEED
Stitches and techniques used in the Diagonal Puff Stitch
- Chain Stitch
- Double Crochet Stitch (UK Treble Crochet)
- Puff Stitch – work as follows: *yarn over, insert the hook where you need to make the Puff Stitch, hook the yarn and pull it out, slightly elongating the loop*. Repeat from * to * 3 more times, yarn over, pull the yarn out of the first 8 loops, then yarn over and pull it out of the last 2 loops.
Check out the Video Tutorials section on our website to find many crochet tutorials and much more to practice your stitches! Keep reading to find the Diagonal Puff Stitch pattern and step-by-step instructions!
How to crochet the Diagonal Puff Stitch
The Diagonal Puff Stitch design is made by repeating the same row until you reach the desired length.
Note: be careful to keep an even tension throughout your work to make it as neat as possible.
Cast on a multiple of 3 + 2 chains.
– Ch. 3 (they replace the 1st dc.), *skip 2 ch., 1 dc., 1 ch., 1 Puff Stitch* in the 1st skipped chain*.
– Repeat from * to * until you have 1 chain left, then 1 dc.
– Ch. 3 (they replace the 1st dc.), *skip 2 stitches, 1 dc. in the dc. below, 1 ch., 1 Puff Stitch in the chain space below*.
– Repeat from * to * until you have 1 stitch left, then 1 dc.
Continue repeating Row 2 until you reach the desired length.
Diagonal Puff Stitch Chart
Save this stitch on your Pinterest crochet board to easily find it whenever you need it!
If you enjoyed this 3D crochet stitch, we’re sure you’ll love the Raised Zig Zag Stitch too!
Share your creations on Instagram using the hashtag #bettaknit: we can’t wait to see your projects!